Moving Beyond Just Hearing
Listening is the ability to receive, interpret and respond to verbal and non-verbal messages. It’s estimated that people screen out or misunderstand the meaning of a message in over 70 percent of communications, making listening the largest factor to miscommunication.
The Personal Listening Profile® Identifies Five Listening Styles
- Appreciative: Listens in a relaxed manner, seeks enjoyment, entertainment, or inspiration.
- Empathic: Listens without judging, is supportive of the speaker, and learns from the experiences of others.
- Comprehensive: Listens to organize and make sense of information by understanding relationships among ideas.
- Discerning: Listens to get complete information, understand the main message, and determine important details.
- Evaluative: Listens in order to make a decision based on information provided and may accept or reject messages based on personal beliefs.
The Personal Listening Profile helps people understand when their most natural listening approach may not be appropriate and how to adopt another approach for more successful communication.